PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AA 106 @ JFK (13 Jan 23)
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jan 2023, 13:06
Chiefttp

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unquestionably the AA crew knew the implications of their incursion. It’s bad enough to have a runway incursion, it’s really bad to cause another aircraft to reject due to said incursion. As far as JFK ATC high speed delivery, I’m a native New Yorker and that’s the way we talk..I do agree it doesn’t lend itself well to ATC and aviation ops in general and I predict one of the big outcomes from this incident will be a slower, paced delivery by ATC at JFK. I will always warn any new F/O’s to write down everything and listen carefully when we’re at JFK.
Willow 6-3,
The fact that the F/O was new to the jet has little bearing in my opinion. You said you were an Attorney, so If you decide to trade in your Mercedes for a BMW, would that be a valid excuse to run a red light in your new BMW? Also as far as the jumpseater, 3rd crewmember. If he was a jumpseater, (hitching a ride) they will usually try to not get in the way, outside of checking for anything major (Flap settings etc), unless the Captain briefs him to do otherwise. In my Air Force days, we had a taxi incident in Africa. The AF decided that at all times while taxiing, all crew members would scan outside and clear our routing. So we normally had at least 3 or 4 crewmember scanning outside and backing us up.I predict another takeaway from this incident will be sterile cockpit while taxiing.