PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aerobatics in a taildragger without a tailwheel endorsement
Old 21st Jan 2023, 21:05
First_Principal

Received 49 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Flying Binghi
Most pilots get that queasy ill feeling when they start out in aero’s. Best trick is at first to do short periods of basic aeros to ‘harden up’ to the experience.

Appreciate the comment. To some extent I agree as I did get better when I was flying a lot, however I suspect some of us are simply more physiologically susceptible to this.

I've had to accept that, probably coupled with memories from the earlier experience, aero's and me (*or at least 'g' and me) don't mix particularly well. Interestingly anything more than a few minutes on a simulator/FTD also leaves me distinctly unhappy, which I thought should be a different mechanism but perhaps there's a common source. I never followed that up as it didn't really affect my flying given I wasn't passionate enough about aero's or simulators for it to matter.

* In case it affects anyone else this way it's perhaps worth drilling down a little. In my situation I don't believe it's aero's per se that sets me off, rather it's the affect of increased or upset 'g'. Even pulling a tight turn the right way up in a T-6 wasn't the nicest, and similarly a bit of spirited driving in a race car could also leave a queasy feeling. I never tried Dramamine, plain ginger, or similar remedies but perhaps others could comment on the effectiveness of these?

Otherwise, djpil, thanks for my first 'like'! Thought I was going have to pay someone for one of those ;-D

FP.