PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nepal Plane Crash
View Single Post
Old 18th Jan 2023, 22:08
chazontour

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@Yo_You_Not_You_you I guess you have to think not so much in black and white terms about whether they 'were going to the old airport or not'.

Clearly they had stated their intention to land on RWY12 of the new airport but this doesn't mean that some small subconscious familiar action (muscle memory) wasn't mistakenly taken by one of the flight crew that was applicable to landing at the old airport but not the new one, i.e. something that set the aircraft's speed, altitude, attitude or configuration suitable for the old airport approach but not the new one.

The external video taken just before the crash shows the aircraft was very low - and yet still 2km away from RWY12 at PIA. To me when I watch that video I imagine a scenario where the AOA was slightly less and the plane didn't stall - with its sink rate it looks like the aircraft would have intercepted the ground in 10 or 15 seconds anyway.

Something else to observe in the external video is the ratio of the vertical and horizontal distance between the cameraman and the aircraft. The aircraft looks quite small initially, but to what extent is that because of its height above ground vs the horizontal distance from the camera person. Note the aircraft is also flying towards the cameraman as well as descending.

At the point of the stall I'd say the aircraft is less than 200ft, maybe even 150ft AGL.

Comment #35 from @DroneDog has a useful slow mo of the external video and AI sharpened image of the aircraft just before the stall.