PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nepal Plane Crash
View Single Post
Old 17th Jan 2023, 18:05
lederhosen

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
In response to your post 220 michaelbinary I refer you to post 85 where someone with ATR experience makes the point that the machine can be tricky and drop a wing in this situation. You make the assertion that it does not help anyone to guess. As an experienced airline captain I am merely sharing my opinion based on what we have seen so far as to what I think might have happened. That is pretty much what pprune is about.

Post 103 attempts to show a possible flight path in relation to the runway. It is certainly not the way I would teach someone to fly a circling approach in an airliner, for example it has a way too short parallel segment to the runway. I see from your profile that you are a PPL so you probably know more about flying than many on here. However flying an airliner is different from a light aircraft and involves a lot less manual flight. The track if it was flown as suggested in post 103 would have put the aircraft in a less than ideal position to land, for example it would probably have been difficult to see the touchdown point from either seat until relatively late.

I am a jet pilot used to autothrust so the details of ATR power management are not particularly clear to me. But it would obviously be an added factor in the equation and if the focus was on terrain and seeing the runway it may not have got the attention it required.

Last edited by lederhosen; 17th Jan 2023 at 18:49.