PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nepal Plane Crash
View Single Post
Old 17th Jan 2023, 16:56
macboydus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Approach

Apologies if this message is not correctly formatted—it appears I last commented in 2009—now that's impressive lurking!

What makes this analysis rather challenging is that

a) flights have only commenced into this new airport this year; hence, there are only few samples available to get an idea of what is a typical approach (previous flights, as has already been stated, have come in straight along into runway 30). Comparative data are lacking!

b) the approach to runway 12 at this new airport in fact will look like an approach into the old airport, but it will be high for the latter (as appears to be the case here). I've not been able to find an approach chart for PIA, and because this appears to be the first
to use this end of the runway, it's hard to know whether this is a normal approach. For me, it appears to be not much time to stabilise for 12 (but hey, I used to live under Sydney Airport's parallel runway approach from the north....where they would stabilise up near didgabringyagrogalong!)...I do see on the map rather many challenging hills for aircraft to be stabilised any further up that way towards the Northwest....so perhaps this rather late turn over the old airport is standard? Approach charts would be more than helpful....anyone?!

Anyway, as per usual, I'm enjoying the machinations of the minds here attempting to fathom this incident. It's rather frustrating to see the other site I check—AVHerald—completely close the comments and so adamantly state that the cabin video for this crash is fake. As a scientist, I like to keep an open mind about things. Certainly it's surprising to see such a video, but having examined it, I thought right (!), off to Google maps and attempt to match....sure enough, those tennis courts next to the stadium were a bit of a give away....my only guess is that Simon is just overloaded and has to stop comments out of frustration and a lack of time to moderate.