PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nepal Plane Crash
View Single Post
Old 17th Jan 2023, 07:30
remi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rmac2
First sensible comment I have seen on the wrong airport/runway speculation. Base to final turn, possibly went through the centreline and then tried to force the aircraft around too quickly. Bottom rudder, touch of opposite aileron and a hard pitch to keep the nose up, classic skidding turn with high AoA, predictable results. Also looks like first stage flap only, reinforcing the assumption of a base to final turn.
In the two stills shown in comment #71 it looks to me as if there were two different flap settings with the later one greater, which is consistent with something resembling a normal approach.

Dropping a wing is consistent with a stall but why? Did the turn cause the stall? Seems unlikely if it was business as usual in the cabin up to the last second of losing control because how do you get into an accelerated stall with so little fuss among passengers? There would be some alarm I would think even if this approach is the mega version of flying into McCarran.

Did a wing stall first for some reason (asymmetric thrust, control surfaces) and that cause the turn?

Or was it not a stall and instead CFIT or inadvertent loss of control or cockpit chaos resulting in flying a perfectly airworthy craft into the ground? US Bangla 211?

I'm leaning toward an airworthy plane was just flown into the ground but who knows and I don't. We'll find out though.