PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AA 106 @ JFK (13 Jan 23)
View Single Post
Old 17th Jan 2023, 03:40
KRviator

Received 117 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by draglift
As the AA plane departed the gate at JFK 4 minutes early and arrived at LHR 13 minutes early there is clearly no way it could have gone back onto the gate and changed crews.
They didn't do a crew change at all. They did a figure 8 around Z,H,Y & J and promptly departed from 31L. Guess that's one way to hide the evidence - piss off on a transatlantic flight to overwrite the CVR?

Doesn't the CFR's have something about preserving evidence in the event of an incident? I can't imagine they'll be able to explain that decision away...

EDIT: Yep - they do. Granted I'm not particularly fluent with 'Muricanese, but the following seems pretty clear-cut.
830.10 Preservation of aircraft wreckage, mail, cargo, and records.
(a) The operator of an aircraft involved in an accident or incident for which notification must be given is responsible for preserving to the extent possible any aircraft wreckage, cargo, and mail aboard the aircraft, and all records, including all recording mediums of flight, maintenance, and voice recorders, pertaining to the operation and maintenance of the aircraft and to the airmen until the Board takes custody thereof or a release is granted...
Note - "Incident" includes a runway incursion where an aircraft or vehicle had to take corrective action to avoid a collision...
"Any event in which an operator, when operating an airplane as an air carrier at a public-use airport on land:
(i) Lands or departs on a taxiway, incorrect runway, or other area not designed as a runway; or
(ii) Experiences a runway incursion that requires the operator or the crew of another aircraft or vehicle to take immediate corrective action to avoid a collision.

Last edited by KRviator; 17th Jan 2023 at 04:00.