PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nepal Plane Crash
View Single Post
Old 16th Jan 2023, 16:42
barrymung

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 172_driver
I don't see anything unethical with speculating, if it can raise awareness among the pilot group about the inherent risks of some maneuvers..

Indeed. By trying to work out what went wrong is at the least a good exercise, especially if it saves one pilot making an error.

I think that it will have been a combination of factors. Many are saying it's "impossible" for the pilot to have been heading towards the wrong airport but at this stage nothing should be ruled out. How many times have you moved house or changed job but still driven to the old place? Everyone does it especially if they have been going to the old place for years.

The seniority of one officer and the relative lack of seniority/experience of the other could also have played a major part of this. Either one of them could have had brain fade, thought they were heading to the previous airport.

What if one were heading for the old airport but the other set speed/flaps etc for landing at the new one, followed by a swift turn to the correct runway?

What I'm saying is that there are loads of things that can't be ruled out and everyone can learn by discussing the possibilities in an open forum.