PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AA 106 @ JFK (13 Jan 23)
View Single Post
Old 16th Jan 2023, 15:12
Airmann

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BFSGrad
"Cancel Takeoff Clearance" is verbatim phraseology from 7110.65.
Yeah I'm not saying what he said was wrong. I'm saying that whatever he said doesn't seem to imply the kind of urgency that is required in those kinds of situations. I must admit, once the takeoff roll has started I've seen/experienced two things: one, engine noise increases so whatever volume setting existed during taxi may now be too low. Secondly, let's be honest we aren't as focused on ATC during take off as our attention may be focuses else where.

There needs to be some sort of change that ensures an urgent need to reject from ATC cannot in anyway be missed by pilots, and simply saying 'cancel take-off clearance' doesn't seem to imply that you'de better start stopping now or your going to kill hundreds of people, including yourself.

Firstly, there needs to be international standardization and the phrase used must not in anyway contain words in a format that could be interpreted in any other way (by any crew from any background, level of experience or nationality) other than what is intended.

Secpndly, ATC needed to repeat the phrase twice. So did Delta reject because of ATCs call or because they saw the American ahead of them? Obviously this is just conjecture/speculation but If it was the latter then there has been a COMPELTE FAILURE in one of the key layers of safety in the system.