PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nepal Plane Crash
View Single Post
Old 16th Jan 2023, 08:42
guadaMB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BO0M
I've spent two decades on the ATR (all variants) and a TRE/TRI for a good period of that. I'm not saying it to beat my chest but to make some comments reagrding this tragic accident.
- The ATR 72 has 2 flap settings (15 & 30). Its not clear from the photos or video what setting they had at the time of the stall but it appears to be flaps 15 which for that stage of the flight it should have been 30.
- ATR has a shaker and a pusher, the pusher goes off well before CLmax and is extremely forcefull. If inhibited or switch off the shaker will still rattle your cage enough to make you carry out Stall Memo items as trained (effectively, Push, Wings Level, Power as required).
- Having tested the machine in real life without the shaker and pusher activate it will drop a wing if not in balance and aerodynamically stalled. If the aircraft was in the turn then its a real possibility. There is no pitch up tendancy, quite the opposite.
- I'm not drawing any conclusions apart from saying the video shows a very nose high ATR that stalls and drops a wing. What lead to the event is unknown and nothing anybody should be speculating.

My thoughts go out to everyone on this flight and the people they left behind. It's truly a tragic event.
Last night I spoke with a close friend that is not only fan of ATRs: he got MARRIED on board of one. He's not only doing his job driving these birds but also trainer and chief of pilots in his airline.
He says EXACTLY what you explain and added that ATRs are FANCY TO HANDLE but complicated once the right SPEED is lost (up or down). And that the REACTION to throttle (i.e. in a GA) is harder than in any commercial jet, which make he think they were doing something not that good in the cockpit.
And that he THINKS that all begun with a not appropriate speed + a turn to the port side which made the AC to stall.
My friend says the flight was pleasant an with NO TURBULENCE in a clear and sunny day (after the two videos), and POSSIBLY a mishandling in the bad moment made the fall to come.