PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nepal Plane Crash
View Single Post
Old 16th Jan 2023, 08:35
FullMetalJackass

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nojwod
m
2. Same as 1. but pilot flying has lost situational awareness, fixated on an unfamiliar approach and allows the plane to reach high AoA before realising a stall was developing but by then it was too late. Both pilots might have been looking outside for the runway, with engines sounding normal, hand flying and the yoke being gently pulled back too far, loss of airspeed that suddenly resulted in a stall once the bank angle increased beyond a point, and from which there's no way to prevent the plunge into terrain.

But then again, looking at the footage once more, maybe what I thought was a nose down push was just the start of the stall. In which case the plane was flown all the way into the stall, something that could be explained if it was a desperate attempt to keep flying without enough thrust.
I would tend to concur with the second, have seen numerous low hours pilots turning base to final becoming fixated with the location of the runway and inadvertently pulling back as they do so.

In one case I had to literally scream at the pilot to lower the nose and then got him to look out the front at his horizon to realise just how far he‘d pulled back on the yoke, told him to stop staring at the runway, it’s not going anywhere.

One instructor once confirmed that it’s very insidious but common of low hours pilots flying VFR to a new airport to become fixated on the runway and not the aircraft’s attitude.

Having said this, there are probably more holes in the Swiss cheese to line up, maybe perhaps a medical event of the Captain? However if the Captain called for a change from 30 to 12, this would really have to be sods law for it to happen on base before turning final.

RIP all on board