PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 182 crashed into trees at Porepunkah
View Single Post
Old 14th Jan 2023, 01:52
43Inches

Received 419 Likes on 231 Posts
Originally Posted by donpizmeov
Not true re airline Airline EOP or CDPs. The splay is normally starts at 1.5 to 1.95 time the wingspan (depending on aircraft category) and expands out to 600m eithrr side of centreline, increasing to 900m for turns. They don't need to be in the FMC data base, they could be track/distance, or even track to intercept a radial, or track runway Centreline. The use of the FMC fix page, to display pilot entered points to help with tracking is not only approved but encouraged. If you have an engine out SID all the better.

Everything in aviation doesn't need to be rocket science. ERSA gives terrain climb gradient for most airfields. And will give several for the same runway under supplemental take-off distance data.

Before NVGs and GPS we used 1:25000 and 1:50000 maps to determine safe alts for arrivals and departures for marks on the ground we needed to land on. Normally lit by cyalume sticks or hexy burners. It can't be hard if we could do it.
Again in Australia you can not navigate by pilot entered waypoints below LSA in IMC. You can use preloaded waypoints in the FMS but not generate your own. Not sure the point regarding the CDPs, for DR the margins are higher and expanding, on FMS/GPS departures you will be in terminal mode so if using GPS derived data you can use much smaller splays.

Anyway the point being somebody has done all this for you and its kept up to date with approved aerodromes feeding data to the airlines about survey details.

None of this applies to YPOK, I doubt it pays for any obstacle surveys of the area and no expanded ERSA data is available for gradients, which only apply in a very small area from take-off, which in the case of YPOK would be useless as the en-route climb requirements would be just as bad.

I did my IFR pre GPS, on clocks and needles, doing things like DME homing, still had various ADME. Never surveyed a map, just used the IFR charts and WACs for terrain details. In anycase a load of planes flying into hills at night changed all the arrival rules for night in the 90s for good reason.

PS I'd still prefer some more VOR/DMEs regularly placed, I don't trust GPS 100% and it has let me down a few times.