PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aerobatics in a taildragger without a tailwheel endorsement
Old 13th Jan 2023, 23:26
djpil

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Checkboard
The Aerobat is approved for specific manoeuvres in the manual :
So - no tail slides, whip stalls, stall turns, extended negative g (i.e. slow rolls) etc etc ....
My comment on "incapable" per that pilot was referring to ability to perform approved manoeuvres by himself, I should've clarified that.

The Cessna was certified to CAR 3 which states "Acrobatic—Suffix "A". Airplanes in this category will have no specific restrictions as to type of maneuver permitted unless the necessity therefor is disclosed by the required flight tests." Yep, so no whip stalls and no continuous inverted flight. If anything is not specifically restricted then it can be done by an airplane in acrobatic category (within the other stated limitations). I'm familiar with Kershner's text on hammerheads in his book as I am with his description of other maneuvers in the Aerobat which are not included in the list of recommended entry speeds for approved maneuvers per CAR "3.108-A Acrobatic maneuvers. It shall be demonstrated that acrobatic maneuvers can be performed readily and safely. Safe entry speeds shall be determined for these maneuvers." Interesting discussion for the Cessna wrt hammerheads etc vs the manoeuvres done in that video posted here.