PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aerobatics in a taildragger without a tailwheel endorsement
Old 13th Jan 2023, 07:06
421dog

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
A long time ago, I got my first taste of aerobatics from Duane Cole (clipped wing Taylorcraft)

who actually was hired by me and the 5 or so guys I was in a club with to check us out in a P35 Bonanza we had just upgraded to.
I already had a tailwheel endorsement from the University of Illinois institute of aviation, in an Aeronca, however the couple of hours Mr. Cole was kind enough to spend with me in his plane after the Bonanza checkout (which he didn’t charge me for, as I recall) taught me more about flying than the few hundred hrs I had by then.
I subsequently ended up in Minneapolis, where there was an FBO at Anoka, that had a 150 Aerobatic which they rented for (I think) $35/hr wet, with a parachute. Slow as dirt, but snapped well, and was a great way to learn energy management.
Unfortunately, one of their instructors flew it into his girlfriend’s house showing off, and killed himself (as well as the plane).
Taildraggers teach one what a rudder is for. I cannot recommend learning to fly one highly enough.

Last edited by 421dog; 13th Jan 2023 at 07:17.
The following users liked this post: