PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - After landing when would you put the seat pins in
Old 11th Jan 2023, 05:30
SpazSinbad

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts
Interesting recollection Captain Dart. I last flew a MACCHI MB326H mid 1974 in the RAN FAA at NAS Nowra [perhaps interestingly I was trained late 1970 at RAAF East Sale by the instructor instructors so that I could be the first junior (Midshipman) Fleet Support Pilot when they arrived late 1970] so my memory of it is a bit hazy now. I have a good story to tell about the pins 'remove before flight' but will leave it for now. Meanwhile the graphic/text is from the 1973 RAN/RAAF Flight Manual for said aircraft.
[addition] "GROUND SAFETY PIN
The canopy jettison system is made safe by inserting a ground safety pin through the sear in the canopy jettison gun. The ground safety pin must be removed before flight and stowed in the front cockpit stowage block. [seen in grfx]
"EJECTION SEAT [Flight Manual [b]Macchi MB-326H RAN/RAAF June 1973]
Both cockpits are fitted with Martin Baker Mk04B ejection seats.
Seat Safety Pins
The ejection seat has 5 safety pins; Face Screen, Seat Pan Firing, Guillotine Sear, Ejection Gun Sear and Drogue Gun Sear. All of these must be removed before flight.
Seat Firing Handles

The ejection sequence may be initiated by operation of either the face screen handle or the seat pan handle."

Last edited by SpazSinbad; 11th Jan 2023 at 05:47.