PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 182 crashed into trees at Porepunkah
View Single Post
Old 10th Jan 2023, 12:25
Checkboard

Received 122 Likes on 59 Posts
Think of it logically.

To take-off, you need sufficient view of the runway to keep the aircraft tracking along the runway. In the day time, it's obvious that you can do that without runway lights. At night, if you can do it with aircraft mounted lights and ambient light - then there's no need for a regulation. There are IFR regulations for minimum lighting to perfome Low-Vis takeoffs - which are there exactly to guarantee that you can see the runway for the take-off. Obviously that can't apply for landing, because you need to find the runway and position for landing a long time before aircraft mounted lights will be of any assistance - hence a regulation for landing, but not for take-off.

To fly in IFR you need to either SEE the terrain to keep clear of it, or be following a surveyed procedure to guarantee terrain clearance. I used to use the mnemonic "25,30 VIRD":
  • Above the LSALT, or
  • Above the MSA and within 25 miles or the MSA fix, or
  • Visual, able to proceed visually and within 30 miles of destination, or
  • Established on VASI (and within 10 miles), or
  • Conducting a published Instrument Approach, or
  • Under Radar guidance from ATC, or
  • Above the steps of a DME arrival, or following a published Departure.
If you ain't doing that, then you need to be in VMC.
Caveat: I haven't flown in Australia for 20 years. 20 years ago I would have referenced the regs for all of the above, but now so much has changed...