PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 182 crashed into trees at Porepunkah
View Single Post
Old 10th Jan 2023, 11:26
Traffic_Is_Er_Was

Location: QLD - where drivers are yet to realise that the left lane goes to their destination too.
Received 182 Likes on 75 Posts
FWIW, AC 61-05 is the NVFR guidebook: 9.6.1 The pilot must check that aerodrome lighting will be available at the destination at the planned time of arrival.

I don't have time to look up the exact reg right now, but runway lighting requirements apply equally for takeoff and landing
They don't because there isn't a reg for take off lighting requirements (in this situation - I know there are for others). The guide doesn't say blah blah blah at the origin at the planned time of departure. I've had a pretty good look through CASR91 and MOS91 prior to my #86 and references to lighting required for takeoff are notable by their scarcity and specifity ie IFR takeoffs in certain aircraft in certain conditions. Lots of regs and rules for landings, but FA for take off.
Sure if you have to come back immediately after take off then you'll need lights, but for all the safety in CASRs, they don't make that a requirement before you take off ie In case an emergency return to the aerodrome is required, pilots must ensure the runway lighting is activated before departure.