PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways BAC 1-11 510 - what do we know of them...
Old 8th Jan 2023, 17:34
Flightrider

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
I was just doing a quick search for one of the Manchester 1-11-510 cadre who would have been well-known to a great many as a flying instructor at Shoreham, "Moose" Davies. Sadly passed away about three months ago after a good (and lively) innings at the age of 91. He was on the "Super 1-11" at Manchester until retirement from BA, which was at 55 in those days.

Amusing anecdote in a recently-published book by Peter Herzberg, who was a Dan-Air 146 skipper at Newcastle at the time of the event recounted in his book "That's Fast Enough" (which is available on Amazon and worth a read). Asked for their aircraft type by ATC, a BA crew declared they were a One-Eleven - only to quickly state that they were, in fact, a "Super One-Eleven". Pete's F/O then called in as a "Super 146" and an Air UK F27 coming onto frequency declared itself a "Super F27" until the controller called time on the joke...

I stopped in about 1995 keeping a log of flights I'd taken, which is just as well as Greta Thunberg would by now be seizing it as evidence for the prosecution, had I continued. Several 1-11-510 flights with BA and latterly one or two with EAAC on there (found in the garage this afternoon I was digging out the stuff for the posts above), and more on standard 1-11s with British Midland/Airways Cymru (the infamous G-WLAD) and Dan-Air on various -500s. The terrors of G-WLAD probably merit a thread all of their own....

I thought condensation was unique to British-built aircraft, with 1-11, 146 and RJ generally requiring paper tissues stuffed into the underside of the overhead lockers at Row 6 to stop the unfortunate occupants getting soaked on take-off and Shorts 360 pilots suffering from "trench arse" after hours of sitting on rain-soaked seats. That was until boarding a Lithuanian/Maltese cross-breed of A320 flying for easyJet last summer and - lo and behold - observing paper tissues stuffed into the underside of the overhead lockers, which I hadn't seen on an aircraft for quite a few years! Plus ca change....