PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 182 crashed into trees at Porepunkah
View Single Post
Old 6th Jan 2023, 01:09
Aussie Bob

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts
That said, and having flown into Porepunkah, I cannot understand how Mr. 182 could possibly think a pre dawn departure was acceptable from that airstrip.
I am not talking about this accident or this pilot because I know nothing about him or the prang and I have never been to Porepunkah

What I am asking is this:

1. Is runway edge lighting mandatory for Private NVFR departures either here or in The USA?
2. Is it legal to take off NVFR without runway edge lighting in any circumstances (mercy flight perhaps)?

Sorry folks, I don't have time to read the required rules but would appreciate it muchly if anyone could point me to them

3. Is it not possible or even the taught way to take off NVFR and immediately go to instruments for the initial climb out until a horizon can be established?
4. Assuming a straight forward takeoff, could not a competent NVFR pilot fly on instruments at the best angle till say 300 AGL then at the best rate till LSALT?
5. After establishing a horizon (remember this is NVFR) could not the pilot use VFR to remain clear of terrain whilst climbing to LSALT (remain in circling area). I doubt there is a circling area for this ALA but this is scenario based thinking.

Just asking. RememberI, I haven'ti been to this ALA but perhaps this is what I would have done a dozen years or more ago at another ALA in another life. These days I would rather be in bed, not my cup of tea at all so to speak!