PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AFPS (Lifetime Allowance).
View Single Post
Old 5th Jan 2023, 11:04
Akrotiri bad boy

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts
It's not my intention to defend the judiciary and their pension however I feel it right to point out the following, drawn from the .Gov website:

A world class pension scheme for your military service

When a member of the armed forces reaches their retirement age, they receive one of the most generous pensions available in the UK. This fairly reflects the unique sacrifice they have provided their country throughout their career.

All members of the armed forces are automatically enrolled into the Armed Forces Pension Scheme. Unlike all other public schemes, members pay 0% in contributions each month. The scheme is unfunded and paid from the public purse.

If I may draw your attention to the points I've highlighted in bold, particularly the 0% contribution element. AVC's aside a military pension is non contributory unlike those of other employees who also risk their lives in the line of duty: police, fire fighters, nurses, RFA,
HM Coastguard. The list is quite extensive, the point being it is not just those in the military who may be asked to make the ultimate sacrifice. Please just remember when you're picking the bones out of your pension offer and bemoaning your LTA breach that most other public servants have contributed to their pensions.