PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Strutter
Thread: Strutter
View Single Post
Old 31st Dec 2022, 17:17
meleagertoo

Received 135 Likes on 64 Posts
I'm 100% with Pypard.
This is the first time ever in the fat end of 55 years as an aviation fanatic that I've ever heard this aircraft being called a "strutter". In all literature is solely and universally a "1 ½ Strutter" .
It was named that becaue the rigging architecture involved one and a half braced and strutted bays as opposed to the more usual one, two or more.
Calling it a "Strutter" merely suggests it walks in an imperious manner.
This is a completely new aberration and is simply incorrect. You can't go just inventing new nicknames for historic matters or you'd have King Henry the Bonker/Harry the Syph and the War of the ee-bah-gums (or maybe the Ecky-thump bash). It's equivalent to calling a Spitfire a "spitty" or a Lancaster a 'lancy' or a quadrowizard. It isn't clever, correct or least of all right.
What do afficiandos of such revisionist claptrap call a Ju52? A three-puff? A three wheeler? A trike?
Frank Zappa might well have favoured Rotoplooker for an Apache but I really shouldn't go into that...
And what of the Pup? A dawg, pooch or God helpus a Cock-a-kraut or a Soppy-poo like their similarly revisionist and risibly named dogs wh remain mongrels nonetheless?

Let's stick to the correct names and not let moden and historically ignorant keyboard warriors bowlderise them, shall we?

Last edited by meleagertoo; 31st Dec 2022 at 18:06.