PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Can A320 brakes overheat on departure?
View Single Post
Old 27th Dec 2022, 22:48
Escape Path

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Speaking of brakes hot after departure...

This was the first flight of the day for this aircraft (A320 with CFM engines), one engine taxi out (approximately a 20 min taxi). Normal temps (60-70 ish °c, as per the image) before takeoff. Short flight, around 35 min, and this was near TOD (descent prep and briefing was complete) and then this happened...

When the master caution ringed, I took a look at the SD and managed to catch the temp on the affected brake going back to 600-some degrees for a sec, then back to 995.

I assessed the whole thing as a spurious indication, discussed the situation with the FO and we disregarded the ECAM alert; when lowering the landing gear while configuring the aircraft to land, the temp immediately when back down to 60 C. In hindsight, it probably should have been better, for sake of peace of mind, to lower the landing gear as per the ECAM, then confirm it as completely false (assuming the affected brake temp would've behaved as it did when we lowered the gear), and then bringing the gear back up. But hey, you learn...

When discussing the whole thing with maintenance personnel, they wanted to know if the alert had happened on ground or in flight as, apparently, there is a brake failure scenario (on ground) in which the brake disintegrates (I forget the exact term they used) and the problem manifests itself with an unusually high brake temperature.

Any of you guys have any info on this?