PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MH370 - "new" news
View Single Post
Old 17th Dec 2022, 06:05
BuzzBox

Received 89 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by GBO
BuzzBox

Not happy with the premise, just change it!
The premise is a gradual decompression, not an explosive decompression.
You missed a lot of steps. Too bad, you’re euphoric because you are hypoxic. Fail.
Not happy with YOUR premise either, so I'm not going to change mine.

As for steps missed:

So how do you make a radio call with an inoperative AMU?
You can't, so you deal with the situation as best you can. If you need to descend ASAP and divert because of a serious emergency, then do it.

And how did you overcome startle effect and assess that it wasn’t a bomb that went off, with an immediate urgency to find a suitable airport?
I'd say a ruptured oxygen bottle would have just as much "immediate urgency to find a suitable airport" as a bomb, wouldn't you? You'd deal with it the same way as any other - assess what's happened and the associated failures, and prioritise anything that needs immediate action, like an emergency descent to a safe altitude. Most other things can wait until the aircraft is stabilised and safe.

And what altitude and speed?
How about 10,000 ft and the indicated speed you were previously doing, or less? Any faster would risk making any structural damage worse.

And how do you avoid flying along the Malay/Thai border?

Who cares?

And what about the blank four screens in front of you, how did that effect you?

Some information is obviously missing, but there are two remaining screens with some degree of reversion likely available, plus the standby instruments. All is not lost.

Did I miss any this time?

​​​​​​​It is interesting though, that all pilots questioned so far (BuzzBox, dr Dre) would divert to Penang airport following an oxygen bottle rupture ie the same route flown be MH370.
Yep, diverting to the nearest suitable airport is pretty much a given and shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. Where they would NOT go is Banda Aceh.