PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What would make you choose one airfield/flyingschool over another?
Old 10th Jan 2004, 07:51
Polly Gnome

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From my fairly limited experience (I've been flying on and off since the mid 90's) I am not sure I agree with you.

Most people who have spare money, a good lifestyle AND like to fly seem to buy their own aircraft (if they continue to fly after learning).

I think the sort of person with money/good lifestyle who looks around for 'something interesting and exciting to do' would choose to learn to fly helicopters. This is especially so for someone who wants to use it for business. I don't think even the newest (straight-forward) fixed wing aircraft can compete with the glamorous image. (This is not to disparage helicopter pilots - I know several very nice ones.)

People I know who gave up shortly after finishing their PPL had either

- not enough confidence to cope or continue once they were on their own (even though they have been trained thoroughly)
- a change in job/family circumstances which meant not enough time or money

(Can I make a separate point, but I don't want to derail this thread. One or two people have mentioned 'attractive female students/instructors'.

It is REALLY REALLY irritating to be considered some type of airfield entertainment rather than a pilot who wants to fly.

I know of shy female pilots would not stay on the airfield and several female students who have been put off by this attitude.

Please think about how you treat us.)