PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Looking for tower ATCO training (or ATSA jobs)
Old 10th Jan 2004, 07:32
Connex

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DinD –

In the light of recent requests to keep in-house NATS issues away from the public gaze, I would have preferred to place this post on the dedicated NATS forum, but I don’t know if you have access to it. Therefore, it’s on here.

You did not offend me with your posting. I simply responded to an item which is something of a sore point at the moment, and is going to be of greater significance when the Company starts wielding the redundancy axe at the ATSAs. There will be more ATSAs than myself bemoaning the fact that the Company was happy with appointing ex-cadets to ATSA positions. Things are going to change for the ATSA workforce, and not for the better. Each Unit knows basically how it will be affected. You ATSAs out there who are keeping quiet on this one, (and other issues) and who will eventually be the subject of redundancy or enforced redeployment might well regret not making a stand against this procedure (EGCC/EGLL ATSAs take note!).

Look at it from the ATSA side. What has an ex-cadet done to deserve an ATSA job? Nothing! They haven’t passed an ATSA assessment.They have achieved nothing – they failed! Even more reason to refuse such a request if its abundantly clear that the intention of the applicant is to elbow the ATSA post if an ATCO post is offered, which is unlikely if they couldn’t cut the mustard the first time around! So we end up with staff who don’t really want the job, and have effectively blocked a genuine applicant from getting it. There would be revolution in the ATCO ranks if a similar scheme snatched away potential in-house ATCO positions. You can bet your life on it that their Union would have something to say about it. What do we hear from PCS? Speak up chaps – I can’t hear you. As usual.

Sadly, we are now the Company “whipping boys”. ATCOs think we are overpaid, have little or no value/importance, and all we are good for is reading newspapers all day. No support, no respect, no nothing – when it comes to assessing our position and standing within the Company and with our peers, it don’t get much worse.

For some of us, it won’t be long before the only skill we will need is to make sure the guy standing in front of us wants a large fries with his Big Mac. If we want to remain an integral and valuable part of ATC, then the ATSAs must get off their ar*es and do something now! Its also time for the Union to do the right thing – speak to us, find out what’s going on, and get the house in order. Try to save what we still have before its too late – not least of all our self respect.

PS: Nice touch – the ATCO troops rallying to the cause on this post – pity the ATSAs can’t do the same. If we don’t change our attitude now, our apathy will be the instrument of our own demise. And it will serve us right.