PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Armed Forces will miss Christmas this year to deal with strike fallout, says Rishi Su
Old 12th Dec 2022, 11:40
Krystal n chips
Thought police antagonist

Location: Where I always have been...firmly in the real world
Received 119 Likes on 86 Posts
The fireman's strike of 77 seems to have become the default comparison on here but it's not a reasonable comparison.

As has already been mentioned, there were a lot more military personnel available and the firemen had a very valid case, plus growing public support. My "Green Goddess " training was basically, this is a hydrant, this is a hose reel, there's the fire, point hose accordingly . However, I never deployed. Some of those who did weren't averse to doing so it has to be said for the change and variety....although for some, this changed rapidly after attending a couple of house fires in London...and recovering the former occupants once the fire was extinguished.

What many of those being critical of the proposed use of the military seem to conveniently overlook is, these industrial actions are not "spur of the moment ", strikes are very much the last, not the first resort and the reasons are cumulative over the years...plus, it helps, if, as reported, the Gov't actually begins to talk and negotiate...rather than refuse to do so.