PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What would make you choose one airfield/flyingschool over another?
Old 9th Jan 2004, 16:33
FlyingForFun

Why do it if it's not fun?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anybody with enough brains to do the exams can pick up a self fly hire price list and add it up and see if they can afford it. They can do this before their first trial lesson. So why do so many drop out, claiming they can't afford it? They never intended to do it long-term
I know what you mean, but I don't think it's 100% correct. I think, more accurately, that many people don't even think about this.

Many times, I've been asked how much it costs to get a PPL. The wrong answer, I think, is the one which most flying schools will give you: "£5000-£6000, give or take a bit". The correct answer is "£150-£200 a week. After you get your PPL, it might go up or down depending what type of aircraft you want to fly, but that's a good starting point." If more flying schools expressed the cost of learning to fly in this way, then people would be less likely to save up until they have the "magic" amount of £5000, blow it all on a PPL, and only then consider the fact that they need more money to keep flying.

FFF
----------------