PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - P2 Engine handling.
View Single Post
Old 24th Nov 2022, 17:57
FlightDetent

Only half a speed-brake

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You are coming across as extremely hard to understand this time, ST. Please don't assume people are in agreement with your observations just because there is little or no objection or additional details coming from the others.

While your logic is usually flawless, you seem to be applying it at an odd angle to reality here, which is a simple and well-established procedure.

The decision is done by the PIC and since he has hands on the THR LVRs he will act accordingly. The rest of the crew is advised as a first priority as the situation unfolds. Typically FO don't need to be told a rejected manoeuvre is taking place, however, the call-out triggers the action sequence for everyone.

For the FO the responsibility is to clearly announce what he sees, such as "unreliable airspeed" (GO decision but only above 100 kts) or "engine fire". Cue here, by the time the F/O sees an alert coming up with bells and whistles, the PIC can hear that too and proper circuitry gets energized.

My personal CP:FO hrs ratio is 1:2 so not that experienced left seater at all. Total flight time is about 5:1 over the average company FO. In most training events I will recognize and call out a non-announced failure (engine spool down) faster than my colleagues while being the PF. Not by skill but by previous training exposure (and I keep 1 eye head down which is by no means a dogmatic technique). Four edge cases:
- FO incapacitation approaching 100 ktś (lo-speed and hi-speed borderline)
- tyre burst
- loss of visual reference above 100 kts
- airspeed discrepancy affecting the CM1 side.

The current recipe works without leaving major gaps exposed.

I am sure BA researched their SOP with great patience and train to proficiency. Exactly: their much famed monitored approach (slast will elaborate though probably you knew each other before my birthday) puts the decision to GA on the PnH, because he is better suited to evaluate. That's what happens during take-off when the PF = FO = RHS and the PIC makes the failure announcement, takes the decision, and calls out the manoeuvre as his hand moves the thrust levers. To save time and avoid confusion the hand is placed there once TO THR is achieved.

Last edited by FlightDetent; 24th Nov 2022 at 20:36.