PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Egyptair 990
Thread: Egyptair 990
View Single Post
Old 9th Jan 2004, 09:51
ReadMyACARS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Casper got it in one. This is really nothing to do with Egypt Air or Egyptians, but it is certainly all to do with Arabic culture. It is insulting for an arab to lose "face". Had the same problem last year in Saudi F&*k%$G Arabia. We had an absolutely miserable time working with people who were totally and completely ignorant of what were were actually doing their, but we had to play the game to stop these ignorant fools losing face.

Same culture in Asian countries. Look at some of the accidents that China Air and Korean Air have had and the causes behind them, it is often that junior pilots simply will not draw attention to the Captains error or a problem that the Captain didn't notice because to do so would cause the captain to lose face.

Basically I do my best to avoid airlines which have pilots from countries with these cultures. As for Emirates, I think that you may have a different outcome as most of the pilots are westerners as are a lot of the management. I think that they would take the Singapore Airlines example after the SQ005 accident in Taipei. Basically they admitted the error, settled and got on with making money. For something a lot more interesting, lets see what happens with Qatar Airways when the inevitable happens, it will be the biggest coverup of all time.

In short, would you seriously consider flying with Egypt Air?

RMA