PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Official Weather & Notams resources
View Single Post
Old 13th Nov 2022, 06:44
parishiltons

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Breakthesilence
Good evening,

I have a very basic question but it's annoingly keeping me up
As, when I flew general aviation last time many years ago, there weren't so many internet and app resources, the only official way to obtain WX info, at least in Europe, for a VFR private flight was to contact (or going to) the ARO (Aeronautical Reporting Office).
Working for an airline gives you many benefits but sometimes we lose the basis of some small things we are no longer used to.

So, what I'm asking is:

1- How does a private pilot know where to gather OFFICIAL weather and notams informations?
2- What's the original source of these informations?
3- How do you get these if you are in a remote and unassisted airport?

I know the easiest way is to maybe pay a good planning app or similar but I'm wondering how, in a very basic condition, a pilot is supposed to comply with his duties (so you should have these informations provided by someone officially and legally available in any circumstance).
I hope I've been clear in explaining what I mean

Have a great evening.
BTS
1. It's promulgated in AIP GEN 3.1 of the State you want information for.
2. Depends on the State. Generally whichever organisation/s is/are responsible for the AIS (the NOTAM service and the national meteorological service for that State).
3. Use the internet. Use ACARS if your private plane is that sophisticated. Otherwise, most States provide a telephone number. If no landline, mobile or satellite phone then call ATC/Flight service or the equivalent in that State on HF and ask. If you don't have HF then depart and make contact on VHF as soon as you come into VHF coverage and then ask.