PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A300 is 50
Thread: A300 is 50
View Single Post
Old 4th Nov 2022, 07:49
blind pew

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Sorry..my use of stick is from the old days before side sticks were invented…
Amongst my group in the early 80s the control philosophies of Airbus were anathema (and still are).
The VC10 was bad enough where you trimmed the stick to a central position (as against neutralising the stick load) and one called power settings with the levers moving on their own - engines had his own set.
I suppose it all comes on learning on airplanes with conventional controls then in latter life one has to accept different control philosophies.
Which then ends up with the 737 MAX fiasco where a bodged up system was introduced to increase stick load approaching the stall to mirror stalling a Cherokee or like; not that it was needed imho as who reduces speed in an airliner towards the stall and will only realise that the aircraft is about to stall by increasing stick pressure (didn’t work with a glider pilot and side stick on AF).
SR fleet; I included the initial Balair aircraft because as far as flight crew all of Balair aircraft were part of the Swissair fleet, in my time I flew the DC934, MD80 and their DC10.
Searching for the numbers I discovered that a 300 variant became the 310.
The 12 aircraft in 12 months was significant as it spurred limited industrial action, court action and being advised by crewing to use sickness creatively. With a lot of DC10 last minute cancellations the company were forced to temporally employ SAS pilots.
It was the start of the rot in the company.

Last edited by blind pew; 4th Nov 2022 at 08:29. Reason: Fleet details 300/310