PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F35 pilots -
Thread: F35 pilots -
View Single Post
Old 3rd Nov 2022, 22:58
Flyhighfirst

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Viking
I agree that it is silly. However, I’d struggle to find a better example of how a business (Man City) pays the going rate for someone with a niche set of skills. Maybe the military can learn something from the Premier League. I’d have been more than happy with just one of Haaland’s weekly wages as an annual salary though.

BV
This is a silly comparison. There may be a few hundred in the country that could perform to the standard you set in football. I hate footballers by the way.. but there are literally hundreds of thousands that would pass the standard tests to be a pilot, and a fair few of them would make the cut.

The challenge is to get people to apply in the first place, and then to retain them.

Nobody goes into the military to become well off. They may go into it to get a skill that they can use in the private sector , but who blames them. There is only so many air marshals, a good few are expected to leave.

You can’t have pay that is good enough to retain everyone as there is no room for everyone. You need turnover. In times of war you can call on these to return.

The challenge is to make the salary good enough to bring people in, but not good enough to keep them. Except for the few that go on to the top.