PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What would make you choose one airfield/flyingschool over another?
Old 8th Jan 2004, 18:07
RichyRich

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What would I want? Aircraft availability.

I know, you're all going to say 'buy a share', but that can only be justified if the hours match the cost. Someone speculated somewhere that the break-even is around 50 hours per annum: less than that, then rent. I probably fall into that category, thus I'm a renter. Who from? Currently from the school I got my PPL through (particularly as I'm very low hours). But even if I get a couple of hundred hours under my belt in the next few years, I'll still probably be renting - and I only know of schools who rent out.

Am I wrong here? I need to visit another airfield to get a feel of what is available (Blackbusche, Popham both come to mind, as they're both within catchment distance)

As a renter now, I get pushed to the bottom of the pile, as the school obviously makes a better deal with students, and I'm already beginning to battle to get air time (ignoring the awful weather at the moment). Is this why there is such a huge dropout rate? No aircraft to fly in!

I'll crawl back in now....