PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why is there no "new flight deck option" for the A320 series?
Old 25th Oct 2022, 08:22
pineteam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dear God, Again that debate about moving thrust levers or not? Lol
The moving thrust levers did not help on Turkish 1951 and Emirates 521 accidents..
I strongly stand on the team that moving thrust levers are not required. I'm not saying it's a bad idea to have moving thrust levers; I never flew Boeing but I don't think it's necessary at least on Airbus: The primary clue for a faulty auto thrust system is in front of you ( FMA or IAS going abnormally up or down) or your engines parameters ( N1/EPR) pretty much also in front of you. For flying a lot with manual thrust, I barely look at anything else than my speed to adjust the thrust required. The speed trend makes it so easy to fly accurately. I will glance to the N1 during final approach a few times especially in bumpy conditions just to confirm that my N1 is around where it should be. For instance, I know if my N1 is below 40% I would probably need to add some juice at some point, and if above 55% I would certainly need to come back on the thrust to stay close to VAPP. Also looking at the N1 setting help you out to set symmetric thrust.

Back to main topic, I really love the A320 as it is. I don't want it to become like an A350 fully automated.. One thing I wish they could improve are the avionics fans as it's horribly noisy especially for the models not equipped with the avionics fan speed controller with 2 operating speeds..