PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - For a laugh... The top end.
View Single Post
Old 8th Jan 2004, 04:27
TinKicker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The last few posts remind me of an experience in a Major Southern City hospital where I once worked......not really the Top End but what the hey!!!

It was a typical day..........A&E was on its ear and trying to treat more people than they had beds for (nothing changes in nearly 20 years if you believe what the papers are saying) and there was this one young chap.........in his early twenties with nothing apparently wrong with him, apart from the fact that he was trying very hard to fake unconsciousness.........well the A&E Registrar had had enough of this and was getting really P*SS*D at this guy and asked that his bed be moved to the back of the divider of the Doctors desk so that he could overhear the conversations between the Doctors.............

Dr #1 - what about the patient in the bed just there...a hopless case really....not much more that we can do for him.

Dr #2 - yep....I've done just about every test and he failed all of them....not getting better or worse.

Nrs #1 - is he a candidate for organ dontation?

Dr #1 - I had not thought about that....(rustling of papers for a couple of minutes).....looks OK here....lets get the organ donation coordinator on the phone.......

Dr #1 - (makes appropriate phone call)...Hello Organ Donation...yes...it is ******************* Hospital here and we have what appears to be a candidate for total body organ donation....yep....heart, lungs, eye, liver, kidneys.......22 year old male....no pre-existing disease....heamodynamically stable and has not been compromised in any way.....OK good you'll be right over.....I'll get him ready for theatre straight away..... (hangs up phone)

With that said young male sits bolt upright, gathers clothes from under bed and walks out of the unit without saying anything to anyone.....

The Drs and Nrs received a standing ovation from all other staff present......perked up the morale for the rest of the day.....

Tinkicker.............