PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Standby
Thread: Standby
View Single Post
Old 16th Oct 2022, 12:41
Lead Balloon

Received 419 Likes on 209 Posts
Is it full moon again?

I didn't post any incorrect information about transponder altitude information. I know how transponders work. Down to every component on their circuit boards in the aircraft and at the other end in the SSR.

It's precisely because of how transponders and SSRs work that renders the repetition of QNH unnecessary after a pilot has reported being at an altitude and in receipt of ATIS with a QNH in an SSR environment. That SSR data either confirms the accuracy of what the pilot reported or raises doubts about its accuracy...

Either the pilot has received the ATIS QNH and properly set it and is flying the reported altitude, or s/he's f*cked it up or is making it up. And, if s/he*s f*cked it up or is making it up, that will show on the transponder reported (and SSR corrected) altitude and that's when there's an actual need for words on the issue to be exchanged between ATC and the pilot.

I know there are circumstances in which there is no SSR coverage. I know there are circumstances in which aircraft are climbing or descending. I was only talking about circumstances in which a pilot in an aircraft in SSR coverage reports at an altitude with an ATIS code.

Jeeezus, this weirdness must be a symptom of long Covid (or perhaps chemtrails).