PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot Shortage (Down Under)
View Single Post
Old 10th Oct 2022, 02:48
43Inches

Received 415 Likes on 229 Posts
Mate you can fly a King Air doing half the work for more money than that.
Not going to say its great, but its way better than the Tonga offer and only flying a 34 seater. Lets face it, you only work 6-7 hour days and 4 days a week when its fully rostered. At the moment due to shortages yeah you work your arse off, possibly, still talking to guys doing less than 600 hours a year. Some parings have never allowed you to work much harder. Also compared to jet flying no back of the clock, mostly all 6am to 9pm rosters, really good crews to fly with everyone knowing each other, from all groups, not just tech crew. I mean as I said before courses for horses, you either like it or not, most there are wanting to fly jets and don't like the SAAB full stop, even if they paid double they would struggle to keep pilots that would still accept the same or slightly less to fly an A320 or 737 etc... In fact some have left higher paying positions for lower paying FO positions exactly for that reason, personal choice.

Not sure when you worked there but the average rex capt would be year 4-5, with a cadet loan.
You do realise is what you just said is someone with no experience from the start is now within 4 years a Captain earning $140k, with the ability to be hired by anyone. Some now taking that opportunity up flying for QF, VA, J*, Atlas, you name it. Considering most of those will be about 25 years old. The other part is that a lot have the finances to just pay out the loans rather than sit for 7 years, which is more the issue Rex is having, that the Cadets are not in the noose they thought they would be. And the Rex system is from start date at the company, not from position start date. So when you start as an FO whatever you are when you upgrade is your years in service Captain level.

Meanwhile somebody trained for GA as said in another thread is starving and squabbling for pittance to make some experience.

Don't have that luxury in the top end in summer. And it's not "austranaut" when someone corrects utter garbage
Why are you working in the top end then? move down south, plenty of jobs from jets to TPs to anything really for the last 15 years. Sounds like a life choice rather than a problem with the job. I've worked with plenty of guys who flew Turboprops and Jets in the Northern hemisphere, US, Europe, Asia, even Russia. I'll never complain about weather in Australia compared to their stories. Flying a Russian turboprop in a Russian winter for a few mere rubles, makes me shudder to think.

It's well below cpi for the last 4 years with a very crude way to pay backpay. I also love people who say that to make good money you need to work annual leave. Stockholm Syndrome
Rex pilots made a choice back in 2019 that would have covered them through to this point, they knocked it back. No one is going to get back pay for covid, you either had an EBA increase through it or not. That's the downside to EBA negotiations if you choose not to have an EBA change, it stays the same until you vote another in. You keep voting no the company just keeps paying you the same, there is no owing/backpay or any such thing. You negotiate the next EBA and keep going from there. As I said in the other thread, it takes years to build up conditions and one day to tear them down. I mean I hope you can get 20-30-40%, knowing management they will probably just stall negotiations another 5 years as they have already done. I'd love to see Rex pilots get a great deal, I don't think the offer worked up I've heard is that bad, for those genuinely in the regional game, it's definitely way better than anything that has been on offer before, which will make it hard to improve on.

Last edited by 43Inches; 10th Oct 2022 at 03:24.