PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why is there no "new flight deck option" for the A320 series?
Old 30th Sep 2022, 20:29
Vessbot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Uplinker
On the Airbus, the thrust command is from your hand if in manual, and shown on the N1/EPR gauges if in auto.
I'm aware of this, but I was responding to where the thrust command is, in the context of planes with moving levers in comparison.

On the '73 as PM I found I was spending far too much time setting and equalising the N1s rather than scanning the other instruments and the PF, that I found it detrimental.

On the Airbus, the auto-thrust will set the correct N1s and only needs a brief glance by PM of the N1s to confirm.
Oh, interesting. I always figured that the 737 authothrottle system (actuated differently, as it is) would put the thrust in the right place as quickly by itself. Guess not.

And you talk about having to concentrate solely on the PFD and want the engine instruments on there as well. Without meaning to sound clever, a competent pilot will be able to control the aircraft, monitor the PFD, look out of the window and at the N1/EPRs.
Sure. But being that a design is easily available that makes the competent pilot's tools even better, then why not? Isn't the whole concept behind modern cockpit design, to make the least possible workload and the best ergonomically-fitting interfaces, for everyone?

With respect, you say that you have no experience of auto-thrust or fly-by-wire, so really, your comments are merely speculation, based on what you might have heard or imagine. I am confident that if you actually flew Airbus FBW, and were properly trained to do so, you would find it just as easy as I and most others do.

Don't listen to the nay-sayers !
Yup it's speculation, and I enjoy thinking about flying & airplanes in all of their contexts. Where I don't have the experience I enjoy the conversation and learning, and comparison to how things work in the areas where I am experienced. And so far, all of my experience of losing tactile feedback, has left me with a bad taste in my mouth and without a desire for more.