PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AW139 incident - Houma
View Single Post
Old 27th Sep 2022, 12:56
SASless

Received 519 Likes on 217 Posts
The question I am looking for will be what caused he Flight Control issues that were reported.

Some 139 pilots might weigh in on that.

One discussion of the AW-139 I have read stated the Aircraft had mechanical linkages combined with an AFCS that had equal authority to that of the Pilot.

So am I right to think with the Essential buses gone awry due to an electrical fire....would that somehow cause a problem where the Pilots could lose "control" of he aircraft due to the AFCS being left in a mode that could not be removed by the Pilots using normal means to do so?

Or....would the Pilots have to over power the AFCS and Force Trim by manual use of the flight controls?

Just some guessing at probable causes based upon what media reports are out at this time thus remaining in the "asking' and "guessing" mode of query.

Assuming the AFCS and FMS had been set to track "NAV" or "HDG" and maintain 6,000 Feet....and you could not get the AFCS to respond to any other commands....what would the control forces that would be felt by the Pilots?

I also assume the Essential Buses power their associate Emergency buses which means if all four buses are failed....there is not much left to work with in coping with the problems.

How are the Engine Control switches. powered.....which bus are they fed by?

For sure this shall be a very interesting Investigation to figure out what happened, why, what issues the Pilots had to deal with, and how they managed to do so in such am excellent manner.