PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - HK scraps quarantine
View Single Post
Old 24th Sep 2022, 10:59
Paultheparaglider

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bokpiel
Yes, it is obviously good news, but let's not get Stockholm Syndrome. The small print is still a farce and will keep the vast majority of tourists away.
I agree.

I think it is difficult for the Government to see things outside its own small bubble. I say this as a former Hong Kong resident who wishes Hong Kong and all living there well.

Seen from the outside, the idea of in a best case scenario having to take 12 covid tests to visit HK does not appeal. I haven't taken a single test for ages now. Most of the rest of the world has moved on with vaccination and the severity of illness changing the practical reality of living with covid.

In the worst case, if one of those tests shows positive, then my plans are completely thrown in the bin and I may have to face an unknown period in an unknown location separated from my wife who will also face a similar mess as a close contact.

From a tourist's point of view, why take the risk and face all that hassle when most other places don't suffer these burdens?

I appreciate that the HK Government thinks HK is special enough that tourists will put up with this anyway, but I suspect they are wrong. I won't be visiting until all the restrictions are dropped, and as someone with family in HK I have a greater desire to visit than many.

It is, however, good news from the perspective of anyone living in HK, and it does at least show a bit of light at the end of the tunnel for people like myself who would like to visit.

It is, probably though, even better news for Singapore who will continue to benefit from a more progressive view. Until such time as HK takes this long term threat more seriously, it is perhaps doing itself more long term harm than it realises.