PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What would make you choose one airfield/flyingschool over another?
Old 6th Jan 2004, 23:54
IO540

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Say again s l o w l y

As FFF says, this (or any other) online forum is not going to have a representative population of your prospective customers. But it's not a bad place to get feedback on what to do.

I have absolutely no ambition to start a flying school (I have a business which together with flying keeps me busy enough) but I have discussed the idea with enough MBAs over the years It comes up as often as whether a PPL could land a 747 if he had to...

I believe that the way, and the ONLY way, to make it work is to go for quality customers. There are loads about, in their 20s 30s 40s, not yet married, on 40k-70k p.a. Presently few of these are seen anywhere near airfields; the sight of a washing machine with wings strapped on top (a Cessna, even a brand new one) is enough for them.

This is why you will fail to beat the spamcan merchants even if you buy a fleet of brand new C172s (some 140k a time). I know this because I've seen it done. If Cessna/Piper were in the UK they would have gone the way of BSA, Norton, Enfield, Vincent etc, and it's no use pretending that just because Americans still buy them (just about) they are acceptable.

So how do you get these people in? Modern planes (not Cessnas or Pipers, DA40s will do nicely though) and nice advertising in the local press, and some national magazines. Not in the free local rags, and not in aviation mags either. Teach GPS almost from the start (along the mandatory PPL stuff of course) so people can see early on they WILL be able to fly without getting lost. Stress the modern planes and the nice environment, GPS, etc - this will hugely upset all other schools around which is why even people who spent six figs on new planes are afraid of advertising them using direct comparisons with the "national average", but if you are the only show for miles, you can do it.

Have facilities for post-PPL flyers. Very few schools have this - they want you to either spend money on more ratings (and frankly most don't have planes in which you can teach the IMCR never mind fly them real IFR) or to go away. But these people keep the students motivated, especially if they are in a syndicate in which shares are available.

There are a few other things but that's the essence.

I see you have another objective which is to attract resident owners to your airfield. I can't say more on this because there are so many different types of planes, being operated on very different budgets. I know I would need a hangar, and no potholes.

Last edited by IO540; 7th Jan 2004 at 01:54.