PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What would make you choose one airfield/flyingschool over another?
Old 6th Jan 2004, 22:20
Evo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For owners, it depends on what they have. Anything worth over say 70k is worth putting in a hangar, simply on the basis of annual cost of rotting avionics/etc versus annual hangarage. Landing fees of below 15 quid are fine unless again you are flying something low cost.
Lean, mean IFR machines need hangarage, but so do lots of fabric-covered Permit aeroplanes. Many permit aeroplanes migrate off to farm strips and the like, but I would think that the convenience of an airfield (easy for fuel, maintainance, a cuppa afterwards) could attract a lot of those back if airfield costs were more reasonable. Obviously if you have a never ending waiting list, you charge what you feel like. If there's a bit of local competition then maybe it is a market worth chasing.

It is early days for the group I am in, but looking at the numbers so far hangarage and landing fees make up 1/2 to 2/3rds of my hourly rate. I'd jump at something that reduces that...