PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ICAO rules and each country's deviation from ICAO "base" rules
Old 18th Sep 2022, 18:01
waterfalls123

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ICAO rules and each country's deviation from ICAO "base" rules

All-
International flying rules.....what is the "base" source document and where do you find a country's individual rules?

I'm going to have a hard time formulating the question.....There appear to be international flying rules that everyone follows, then there are the rules that a particular country has that vary from the "base" rules that everyone follows. Where do you find the source documents for both?

For example, if I'm on a STAR as cleared, and a controller says, "descent to FLXXX," in one country that descent clearance deletes the altitude restrictions between my present position and the newly cleared altitude, while in another country I'd be required to continue with the descent restrictions along the STAR on the way down to the newly cleared altitude.

My airline provides me with some manuals that allow me to determine what I have to do to follow that clearance in the United States vs. India vs. the UK vs. China.. All four of these countries are following ICAO "base" rules (for lack of a better term) but might interpret that descent clearance differently.

So where do I find the ICAO "base" rules that everyone seems to follow, and then where do I find the document that say, India (or whatever country) follows which deviate from the ICAO "base" rules? Is there a centralized location, a "keyword search" I can do for each country on the Googles? Is there one document that has all the base rules in one place and each country's particular "deviation" from the base rules?

Thanks!