PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter instruction: Cost etc
View Single Post
Old 6th Jan 2004, 16:27
Bronx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mr Selfish
"It was "Bronx" who suggested that FIs could get 40hrs pay per week. This contention is at best"ill informed" He ? also was responsable for the 250 pounds an hour nonsense.

Nope. I never said that. I said the figures Whirlybird gave (£35-40 pr/hr) were "the hourly equivalent of about £1400 - £1600 per week." Do the math yourself if you don't believe me.
Whirlybird's starting point was £210 pr/hr for training in an R22. £210 + tax = £246.75. OK to be accurate that's £3.25 short of what you call "the 250 pounds an hour nonsense".
Whirly added landing fees averaged out and came up with an 'all in' figure of £250 pr/hr and other folks agreed that was about right.

What beats me is this idea you put your hourly rate up if you're not working all day every day so your weekly earnings are in the region you think you should earn. I started out doing freelance work and in the early years was only working a day or two or week so my money was poor. That's the way it is if you're starting out self employed in any field not just aviation. Your earnings are low until you build up a reputation and customer base. Most folks who go into business earn very little money or even lose money in the first few years.

Yeah FI's are professional pilots but most, I say again most, are low time guys building hours to go for jobs they won't get until they've got more hours. If a career instructor with a few thousand instructing hours charges high fees good for him/her. You're paying for experience.

You think newly qualified FI's with a paper qualification, low hours and not much experience are worth £40 pr/hr. I don't. I think it's stupid money but the best of luck to you if you can get rich people who don't care what it costs and folk with family commitments who can't go to another country to train. The rest will go to other countries to do their training at a more reasonable cost.

Last edited by Bronx; 6th Jan 2004 at 17:19.