PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF QFI Instructor Grades
View Single Post
Old 5th Sep 2022, 20:35
Cornish Jack

Received 159 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by langleybaston
Slight digression if I may be permitted.

What were the Ground School Instructors' gradings after Ground Instructor Training Course?

I did mine [to teach Met] c. 1970, cannot remember where [Newton? Upwood?] and found it superb ....... later in career I was a senior instructor at the Met Office College, Shinfield Park, and realised how well my brief GIT had prepared me, in contrast to other instructors who were, shall we say, not "teachers" but "lecturers". There is a difference!

I think I was a humble B, and a few Met folk held an A? We were checked by trappers fairly often.

Signed OLD GIT.
From memory (not necessarily to be recommended !), the Upwood GIT award was a B, on completion..
As you say, an excellent course, apart from lack of magnetic strip with resultant self-mobilising aircraft !
A tale remaining in memory from that course was regarding one of their previous instructors (Charles ?) who was (apparently) possessed of the most magnificent speaking voice - such that he (after much pleading) agreed to read the lesson at Sunday Evensong. Sizeable congregation and Charles , in resonant baritone, held forth on the marked passage "... and Jesus said to the assembled multitude ...", at which point he paused, cast an imperious gaze across the listeners, and continued ... " andf I must say, I entirely agree with Him..."
He was not asked for a return engagement !!