PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Private aircraft crash in Baltic Sea
View Single Post
Old 5th Sep 2022, 10:25
guadaMB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not a hobby-pilot

Originally Posted by virginblue
I am not a pro, but I would guess that scenarios are quite different when it comes to trouble-shooting if a commercial pilot is in charge and the aircraft is operated on a day-to-day-basis or if, as in the case in question, the pilot was more or less a hobby pilot and the aircraft is a little-used personal steed (my understanding is that the aircraft sat on the gorund for quite some time in Spain while the family was holidaying there).

Interesting that the the pilot was confident enough to fly around his family as a single-pilot - he was, from what I can tell, well into his 70s and we are not talking about a Piper Cub here.. .
The pilot (single pilot, 72yo and 50 years of piloting experience) was the owner of QUICK AIR (ambulances, medical aircraft, rent) besides other three aviation companies.
PAX: his wife (68), his daughter (27) and her fiancé and two dogs.
At monday 5th noon the known facts (in Spain) are the following:
- take off from Jerez de la Frontera (XRY-LEJR) to Colonia/Bonn (CGN-EDDK)
- first communication with Central Spain, "sector Toledo",# frecuencies SectorToledo 133.75 381.25# in which the pilot (in a very bad communication quality due to extra sounds and statica) said there were PRESSURIZATION PROBLEMS.
- APPARENTLY no other comms were made with the AC.
- French, German, Danish and Lithuanian (AFAIK) fighters were on the chase and declared NOBODY IN THE COCKPIT.
- what happened later is in the posts of other fellows here.

My opinion: if you're experienced and are flying single and are carrying pax (also if you're alone, of course) and DETECT a pressurization problem, the first is to descend, communicate and aviate.
Strange thing: the pilot was NOT in his post of command.
May happened he had the issue, THOUGHT THAT WAS FIXED, went into AUTO and then into the cabin. The cabin depressurized AGAIN, all went wobbly and lost conscience and the AC continued till total fuel consumption (total journey 2000mi/3200kmin a straight line). RIP to all.