PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Birmingham-8
Thread: Birmingham-8
View Single Post
Old 4th Sep 2022, 10:17
ATNotts

Received 177 Likes on 95 Posts
Originally Posted by danielsirrom
We flew back into Birmingham from Skiathos on Friday, the TUI flight was 2.5 hours delayed leaving Birmingham in the morning. Most TUI flights were delayed that morning, some 7 hours plus. On boarding in Skiathos the TUI captain told us their supplier had run out of aviation fuel in Birmingham that morning and the other supplier had prioritised their competitor (I presume Jet2?). He had actually planned to hop to East Midlands to take on fuel but then fuel turned up. Another holiday maker in Skiathos said they'd seen something on social media saying fuel protesters were to blame. Is there any truth in this? Is there a media blackout on this info to block publicity? Nothing on the news, google search nor Twitter. Anyone know anything? Is running out of aviation fuel something that's known to happen?
It certainly happened at BHX earlier in the Summer, and eco-protesters were the cause. Ridiculous really when, if I recall correctly their is a pipeline to Kingsbury Oil Terminal which has never, or rarely been used, hence why a few extremists can effectively stop the supply of fuel to the ramp.

On the subject of media coverage the Coventry Telegraph seemed pretty quick to report an EasyJet aircraft "skidding to a stop" en-route to BFS after bird debris was reported by a previous departure. There was me thinking modern aircraft had anti-skid brake systems!!! No point in making a link to the story since PPRuNe still seems to have issues, but suffice to say it's little more than you might expect from a "Reach" rag!