PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air France crew fighting
View Single Post
Old 30th Aug 2022, 12:00
fdr

Received 861 Likes on 257 Posts
AF may be overrepresented, but, those are humans stuck in the rabbit hutch, dealing with their issues, and nationally, the French are quite forward in presenting the merits of their views. There are situations that is desirable, others not so much. The whole story would be interesting. The unfortunate issue is that at the point that the matter has degraded to this extent, the whole operation has been and is continued to be compromised, and that ultimately is a responsibility for the PIC in management of the complete crew, warts n' all. Either side may start it, either side can escalate it, but the one person that has to recover the situation is the PIC. Sucks.

As to "national traits", one of the best CRM implementers I have had the pleasure to work with was from France, not a big sample lot, one of the 3 best helicopter instructors I have ever worked with was a simple french farm boy, (the other 2 chopper guys were both JSDF naval helicopter pilots). I've kicked a pilot off a flight deck in the dark past, replaced him with a F/E, the clown having decided to try a reckless trick that was not briefed, trained, called for or comprehended by the twit, and done while I was in the back of the plane, resulting in 4 injuries, including myself. Stupidity is not limited to race, language or religion.

447, while incorporating MMI factors, was at its root cause a failure of training and comprehension, and a pilot that was placed into a situation that defeated his understanding, leading to irrational but understandable inputs under a fearful existential situation. If there is a time for a tiff on the cockpit, that is one where it may have been reasonable.