PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pitot Covers Brisbane Take 2
View Single Post
Old 28th Aug 2022, 04:01
Tom Sawyer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Beryllium Erbium
Ah, no I don't. Removal of pitot tube covers should be a simple job. You learn it from hour one of flight training. If you want to turn it into a legal exercise then maybe you should join CASA's legal department.
It already a legal exercise! An Engineer (should) remove the covers and certify that the work has been carried out by signing the tech log for the work, and then the CRS for the release of the aircraft as fit to fly. A legally required signature in a legally required document.

One thing I have been pondering as an Engineer, the usual process is do and verify the job, and then certify for the work in the tech log. In this scenario, the Engineer removes, or observes and verifies covers being removed, goes up stairs, gains access to aircraft, fights way down the aisle to flight deck, gains entry to tech, makes entry and certifies, deals with last minute cabin issue, gets off aircraft, jet bridge off, possible ATC delay etc etc......how long for this process to be carried out? Enough time for problem wasps to do their thing? So we end up with a hole in the process where you certify the work and then pull the covers immediately before pushback.......as long as they have been remembered by you as you deal with 2 other aircraft and deal with a customer airline who is too focused on OTP than basic standards and safety. So strictly speaking we end up with an incorrect process and hence risk to safe flight.

Just to verify also that pitot covers are not stowed onboard large aircraft. In fact over the past few years when parking aircraft we did not have enough company stock in stores to cover the whole fleet!

Someone mentioned having all 3 covers joined together by cord with a warning penant right in front of tug drivers window and so visible to pushback team. Seems best solution to me, but doesn't solve the process problem.