PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pitot Covers Brisbane Take 2
View Single Post
Old 26th Aug 2022, 00:00
framer

Received 483 Likes on 130 Posts
The engineer still has to be at the bay whether the NIGS is working or not. Off schedule arrivals probably put more pressure on engineering. Perhaps the practice of airlines outsourcing to the lowest bidder/paying peanuts for engineering services or engineering companies delivering contracted services to multiple airlines with the bare minimum resources possible, thereby expecting or forcing one engineer to be in multiple places at once is more the issue.
Traffic is er was, I agree 100%
Your point is basically the point I was trying to make. The tension between commercial success and safety is always there and in my opinion is stretched too far away from safety. Whether it’s greater between Airlines and third party engineering contractors or Airport companies and Airlines I don’t know but the position that the Engineer finds themselves in has the same origin as the position the pilots, baggage handlers, cabin crew, refuellers, tug drivers, etc find themselves in. The origin is executive level decisions to increase productivity by maximising the output/ efficiency of operational staff and resources. Whether it’s a single honey-cart driver for all of Melbourne, or a clapped out 35 year old baggage belt loader blocking a gate in Sydney because it won’t start, or a Brisbane Engineer running between gates to attend to two simultaneous departures, the reason for it is executive level decision making with a lack of big picture safety knowledge. The only way to influence that decision making is to put a floor under it with legislation ( in my opinion of course).